Thursday, January 21, 2010

Venting

I just need to vent a little bit and I don't have any friends or family here that I feel comfortable venting to. So, all you who happen to read this blog today get to hear it instead. Lucky you!

It's about the elementary school here. I don't think I've met with more rude people or ridiculous policies in all of my life! I won't even go into the whole registration process right now, I just need to talk about the latest...We want to volunteer in George's class one hour a week. Yesterday I was informed by his teacher that in order to do that we need to fill out a "Volunteer Application Form" in the front office. So yesterday I haul all of the kids over to the office and pick up a form-which is 3 pages long and requires 3 character references that I've known for over 2 years and that are NOT family, and a possible background check. Huh? I was then informed that if I want to go on any field trips I have to be fingerprinted. What?! She then told me to make sure that my references can be reached during school hours because they only call during school hours and if they can't reach all of them I don't get approved. I've applied for jobs that don't require as much. I'm not even going to be left alone with any kids. Seriously.

Then today when I dropped George off at school he forgot his library book. So I found a place to park and hauled all of the other kids out of the car and into the school to take it to him. As I'm walking down the hall this "hall monitor" (in a very rude voice) says, "If you are going to walk down this hall you need a visitors pass." I said, "Oh, I didn't think I needed one before school had started." She said (again rudely), "Yes, you do." Maybe we've just always lived in small enough towns until now that the people at school always knew who my kid was and who I was. In our old schools parents walked their kids to their classrooms all the time. It was only when school was actually in session that you needed to check in at the office.

So, my question is. Are these things normal? Am I getting bent out of shape over normal policies here? I would love some feedback. Although, I have to say that I probably wouldn't be as annoyed if these people were nice once in awhile.

7 comments:

Kari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kari said...

I understand your frustration with this. It seems over the top to me.

But what you said about them being nice is right. You would probably be happier to follow their procedures if they were polite to you.

(My other comment was like a book- I tried to be more concise with this one)

Kyla Armstrong said...

You must have secret children of CIA operatives there or something crazy like that. When my friend lived in VA while her husband was in law school some of the CIA people lived on a base that "didn't exist" and so if you VTed a lady on the "base" then you couldn't visit them. CRAZY!

However, they should practice the Golden Rule and be kind.

Jenilee said...

It sounds crazy to me, but we haven't entered the school world yet, so I really have no idea if that is normal or not.
Kindness on the other hand should be the norm.

Joyful Noise said...

I am sorry to leave a comment since I unfortunately understand why they have these strict policies. There are bad people "out there" and the policies are only to protect the children. The fingerprinting and background checks are so your children are not subjected to unscupulous characters. Convicted sex offenders etc. can look just like any other person walking down the street.

Wish I didn't know why they have these policies....

Sarah Nowland's mil

Heidi said...

They are WAY off-base! Sounds like a prison to me!

Karolyn said...

I guess they're keeping their school safe, but it sounds pretty intense. Clover was never very strict about volunteering and neither is the school we're at now. Both schools have really wanted parent involvement, and I think because the parents are never left alone with the kids, you shouldn't need fingerprints or a background check. Maybe the school had something shady happen in the past. It sounds pretty crazy.